PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Situation

Neville_Towell
05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Hi All

May I ask for some advice regards a new situation that occurred today.

In a coaching session we were discussing the Choice and forward actions, when I asked what the client thought would be the outcome of developing a regular group learning session with colleagues would provide

The client responded very positively and seemed very excited & pleased with the potential future outcomes, the improvements in the clients own and the planned work group of fours' learning and much more confident in the clients own ability to now pass the upcoming assessments at a higher grade.

After a pause the client then brought in a new worry (out of left field) that of a bias, and that the learning session group would not positively marked by the assessor.

I explored this area a little by asking the client to help me to understand why this may be the case and then asked which would be more meaningful to the client, to continue to focus on improving the end of year assessment or explore the concerns over biased assessments?

I felt this was a very poor intervention on my part (coaches), and disrupted the flow of our conversation - although we continued to develop some very good outcomes and the client was now all set to get "A"s in the future assignments, I feel I did not handle this well.

Has anyone any pearls of wisdom as how to "handle" an out of left field issue being raised at this stage in the ACCA process. Can anyone suggest alternative approaches that would have a less clunky feel

Many thanks in advance

Neville"

BENKOH
05-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Hi, Neville

Can you be more specific what is the issue?

BENKOH
05-15-2015, 01:42 AM
Based on my experience, it will take some for the client to be clear on what is the outcome i.e. simply asking the 1st time what the client wants to work on does not always guarantee 100% clarity on what really matter most. Any outcome not clarify always remains as the Topic - context for the conversation.